After last week’s successful attempt with the shift dress, I figured I should make the second dress from pattern Vogue 8945. This style comes with a bell sleeve and bateau neckline. I wanted a slightly fitted dress this time. That’s where using darts come in. I created darts for the first time when I made the shift dress but I still had excess fabric at the back. I had to figure out a way to increase the width of the contour dart at the back so I could get a fitted sheath dress.
This is what the dress looks like…
My invisible zipper game is improving. I still need to add a hook-and-eye closure to finish off. I was able to eliminate the excess fabric at the back with the contour dart so that the dress lay flat.
This was easier to sew since I already went through the trial and error phase from the first dress. While I like the fitting for this dress, I prefer the flounce sleeves and v-neckline. Fabric is a colourful Ankara wax print purchased from Nigeria. I like really brights normally but I’m not sure about this particular rainbow print.
That’s it! Let me know what you think.